The Pain of Anyone's Body
Exodus 1:15-22; I
Corinthians 26; Mathew 2:16-18
Holy Redeemer
Lutheran Church, Jerusalem
July 20th,
2014
The problem,
unstated till now, is how
to live in a
damaged body
in a world where
pain is meant to be gagged
uncured un-grieved over The problem is
to connect,
without the hysteria, the pain
of any one’s body
with the pain of the body’s world
For it is the
body’s world
they are trying to
destroy forever
The best world is
the body’s world
filled with creatures filled with dread
misshappen so yet the best we have
our raft among the
abstract worlds
and how I longed
to live on this earth
walking her
boundaries never counting the cost
Adrienne Rich
Every day I check in with my friends on facebook to see
how they are, to make sure they are safe. One friend always answers, “Still
alive.” Another answers, “God is with us. We must have patience. It is
written.” But I know that we are also wondering, like the psalmist, “How long,
O Lord?” How long must we bear the pain of so many deaths and have sorrow in
our hearts all day long.
Yesterday in Beit Jala I had the honor of blessing a
new women’s center called Beit Shams, House of the Sun. It will be a center for
the healing arts for women and their children. I created a Celtic Christian
ceremony that included blessing each room. We ended in the Horizons room where
a white keyfiah was spread on the floor in the center. On our altar was a
rainbow candle surrounded by stuffed animals and dolls, reminders or remainders
of the lost lives of the children. One
bear wore a jersey with a football, a visual cue to remind us of the four boys
on the beach.
The second part of our time together was to engage
in the holy act of reading the names of those who have died in the past few
weeks in Palestine. It is a sacred act and duty to commemorate the dead. We
each read about 10 names except when a whole family was listed. We said their
name and how old they were. The list often said, “The child” and
then the child’s name.” After each name, we said Presente. This is a cultural
tradition from Latin America used during the civil wars to honor the spirit of
the martyrs as still alive with us, in us. We brought into our sacred space
over three hundred spirits. The room was ablaze with tealights and their
presence.
July 14th was the 8th day of
the attack on Gaza. It was also my birthday. I, who just celebrated being alive,
read the names of 15 people who died on my birthday including three children.
Sarah Omar Sheik Eid was four years old when she died on the day I was born.
She died with Omar and Jihad, members of her family.
O Lord, how
much longer? And I don’t just mean when will there be a cease fire but when
will we stop killing our children, slaughtering the innocent ones. Is there
anything in our sacred texts that tell us why we kill the weak and vulnerable,
especially children? or how to stop? How to stop a genocide taking place?
There are three essential tasks a prophetic preacher
must do in a sermon says Walter Brueggermann in his latest book on the subject.
The preacher must speak the truth, explore grief, and find hope.
The truth, dear ones, is that we are witnessing a
genocide taking place in Gaza,whole families are being targeted and wiped
out. We read the names from the most
recent to the beginning. There were so many killed in one day now. For many in
the women’s circle the reading of the four boys who were killed while playing
football on the beach was over the top. Our wails joined those of their
parents. It was a loud lamentation. Rachel was again weeping for her children
and could not be consoled, because they were no more. We are all members of one
broken body. We are all members of one family.
In Egypt, in another time, the King asked some
Hebrew midwives, Shiphrah and Puah to kill all male babies in case one of them
might grow up and become a threat to his imperial authority. Life itself was a
threat. But the clever women did not obey him. They obeyed their God who
believes all life is sacred. They spared the babies and the Hebrew people grew
strong. God rewarded these smart women with healthy families.
In Palestine, in another time, near Bethlehem, King
Herod feared that a child would be born who would challenge his imperial
authority. He learned about this possibility from the three Wise Ones from the
East. After seeing the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and after giving him
gifts for a king, they decided it was best to go home another way and avoid
King Herod. In a fury, Herod decided to kill all the children in and around
Bethlehem who were two years old or under. Life itself was a threat.
It appears that our holy texts, both old and new,
have stories about jealous kings who command children to be killed to secure
their imperial authority. It seems that innocent children have always been
victims of power struggles. But it also
seems that there have also always been people who have disobeyed, who have
resisted, found a way not to participate, not to follow, to assert life. There
were always clever women and wise men who knew that there was something above
imperial law.
The texts illuminate the present. Once again
children are targets in a bloody slaughter. Once again their small charred
bodies are being sacrificed and once again every Rachel, every mother, and
every father is weeping out in horror and disbelief. And we, the church, are
witnesses to this savage disregard for human life. We are the body of Christ
suffering on the Via Dolorosa. Their pain is ours. As witnesses to these acts
of terror we have a choice on whether or not to respond. As witnesses to our
faith that believes all life is sacred, we have no choice but to act.
Our first task is not to runaway or hide from the
truth of the extent of this genocide taking place, the way extreme violence has
become normal. The first task is to face and accept the reality that we are
once again watching the slaughter of innocent lives, especially children. They
are not human shields. They are human beings. They are not collateral damage.
They are targets. Telling the truth means facing this ugly truth straight on.
It also means naming the complicity of others in these acts of terror. This
includes looking at one’s own country’s political and financial support, looking
at what is being done in our name or with our tax dollars. It means facing the
fact that the facts we are getting, the story we are hearing is full of holes, misinformation,
even lies. Facing reality takes courage for it also breaks the heart.
Our second task then is to keen, wail, scream, rage
against the pain and sorrow, to not be afraid that it will consume us. To do
this we must be willing to name the names. One of the women yesterday said it
helped her to hear these names read aloud in a group. The dead became real to
her. By starting a facebook page called Every Body Has a Name and keeping track
of the growing death toll, I am actively engaged in mourning and helping an
online community grieve together. It is hard to look at all these charred and
disfigured bodies, to light so many candles, over 300 deaths listed yesterday. It
is hard but necessary otherwise we grow numb, used to it, and unable to feel.
Our Bible includes psalms of lamentation for a reason. We need a place to yell “”How
Long, O Lord.” We need a time and place to hold each other and the pain we
share as members of one bleeding body.
Our third and last task is to have hope, to not give
up or into despair. Our texts this morning give us some ideas. In each story
people refuse to follow death orders. They value life over death. For example,
because of the actions of the Hebrew midwives baby Moses was born. Later he was
saved by his sister who puts him in a basket to be picked up by Pharoah’s
daughter. He was then raised in Pharoah’s household. Without each of these law
defying women Moses would never have been born. There never would have been a
liberator who led his people to freedom. Their small acts of resistance formed
a chain of events that made a difference. I find hope in knowing that my small
acts of defiance, non compliance, might make a difference somewhere down the
line.
And the Wise Ones, they choose simply not to play
with Herod. They choose another path, the path of nonviolence. Their inaction
gave the holy family lead time to escape and take flight into Egypt. They model
noncompliance as a form of resistance and this gives me ideas and hope for our
time.
Theologian Karl Barth says we should preach with the
Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other. I say we should preach with
three hands---the people in one hand, the Bible, and whatever ways we learn
about the world and what is happening. My newspaper is my facebook feed and on
it, in between these horrible pictures of disfigured and blown to bits bodies
from banned weapons and chemicals, I find pictures of huge protests across the
globe in support for Palestine. I have hope when I see the King and Queen of
Sweden attending such a protest march.
And like the Midwives who act through defiance, I
see the people in Paris protesting even though they have been banned. I have
hope when I see these pictures especially when they are also asking for their
governments to take action like support arms embargos. I have hope when I hear
Chile has decided to completely cut off trade relations until international
laws are followed. I have hope that these acts of resistance will lead to a
change. It did for Moses and it did in South Africa.
I have hope when I hear a story about a Norwegian
journalist who left his work to go and save a wounded child struck by an air
strike. I have a little bit of restored hope when I hear the NBC journalist who
reported on the death of the four boys on the beach has been brought back to
work in Gaza. His truth-telling had led to his being pulled out. Our collective
calling NBC out on trying to silence the truth by removing him has paid off and
he is back. This gives me a spark of hope that sometimes when we act together
we can make a difference. These acts spark small tea lights of hope.
I have hope when I read about the great work Augusta
Victoria is doing to help families from Gaza get the medical attention they
need or when I hear about the international volunteers from the UK, Sweden, and
the US who have decided to accompany the Red Crescent ambulances into firing
zones to retrieve much needed medical supplies. I am inspired to know that
these ISM volunteers not only took personal risk but that they also informed
their embassies to do everything in their power to ensure that Israel respects
international law and does not target them retrieving these valuable medical supplies.
Their bravery inspires hope.
All of these acts of kindness, truth telling, and
protesting give me hope that the world is waking up, that humanity has not lost
its voice. But I also find hope or solace in knowing that as horrible as things
are, and most likely will become more so, that in the end justice will prevail.
Like the Hebrew midwives and the Wise Ones and my faithful Muslim sisters and
brothers I too believe God stands on the side of the oppressed and seeks their
liberation. I too believe my liberation is connected to theirs and that one day
we will all be free on earth as it is in heaven.


Astounding message, full of truth, love and hope. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you John. The hope part is challenging these days I will admit.
Delete