Choose Life

The following is a prayer I made for our worship service at St. Andrews Scots Memorial Church in Jerusalem. I was one of the liturgists for our worship service. As  is sometimes my process I read through all the scriptures a few times and then write down words or phrases that stand out for me on cards and then let them suggest to me how they should stand in relationship to each other. 

These were difficult passages for preaching or making into prayers with lots of language both in Deuteronomy and Mathew about what how we should live. But the overarching theme of choosing life kept coming back as well as what it means to live as a faithful people. There were words and images too about the importance of planting and even becoming a field for God. 

As I had spent the week with the Olive Tree Campaign of the YMCA and YWCA's  Joint Advocacy Initiative planting olive trees in fields where Palestinian farmers had experienced violence from settlers or soldiers or both, I knew I needed to also fold this experience into the prayer. 

So my process involves taking my notes and my bible and covering my body with them while I sleep and then waking up before sunrise with a strong cup of coffee to see what I am supposed to say. I know it is a strange process but it sort of works for me. It's kind of a lectio divine jazz process.


Creator, life giving One,
You have created us in your image
to be kin to one another as neighbors and friends.
We are your descendants, the children of Sara and Hagar.
We understand that to live in this land of our ancestors
we must choose you above all other gods---
the gods of choseness, nationalism, or vengeance.
We honor our history with You
by honoring each other’s particular story with You.

Help us to choose this

choose life

Demanding and commanding One,
You ask us to walk in your law
by respecting others as equals.
You ask us to stay in relationship with You
by staying in committed relationships with each other.

Help us to choose this
Choose life

Redeeming One,
You ask us to unclench our fists----
to open our hands.
You ask us to set aside our hurts and angers---
to come to your table with reconciled hearts
open to receive your cup of blessing
Bread from the harvest
Your love poured out for us
your body broken for us.

Help us to choose this
Choose life

Divine Gardener, you set before us life and death
and ask us to choose life---
to plant and not uproot.
You ask us to water
not confiscate other people’s water.
You ask us to not only work in your fields
but become your field, your flourishing garden.

Help us to choose this
Choose life

Teach us now how we who are blessed
can become blessings to each other
how we can live radiant and full of salty flavor
how we can be faithful to You
and who you have made us to be
how we can follow the One you sent
who calls us to new life every day
to live lives threatened with resurrection.

In his name we open ourselves
to pray, sing, and worship You today.
Amen.


















Comments

Popular Posts