World Week for Peace in Palestine Israel


An Initiative of the Palestine Israel Ecumenical Forum (PIEF) of the World Council of Churches
September 22-28, 2013

"Jerusalem, the City of Justice and Peace"

Come and pray and work for a just peace in Palestine. Jerusalem, the home of the children of Hagar and Sarah is central to peace here. According to the Christian tradition Jerusalem is to be a city of unification shared by all and that will bring peace to all in the region. 

Towards praying this upcoming week for peace, I offer you this wonderful prayer that was used in a worship service this summer while I was on itineration in the States. Other resources are indicated at the end of this post. 




When, My God, When…

When I sing of a land rich in history
the Holy land
where Judaism, Islam, and Christianity share
a common history, land, and life
A people seeking God, a God of ages
A land of wounded peoples, wounded earth
where diverse voices join in faith
seeking a vision of co-existence
struggling for justice and peace
I will sing of life celebrated
Grief, anger, and fear shared
People struggling for the freedom to exist
in this holy land

People:
God give us the words to sing for peace in the Land called holy.

Second Pray-er

When I speak about the power of fear
fear of the other, neighbor, friend
fear, socially constructed to legitimize
oppressive actions on behalf of those who are
afraid
afraid of children throwing stones to resist occupation
Fear to share water, land, life abundant
Fear to call into question structures of power
which violate people’s rights with impunity
Fear to name apartheid as a racist system
sustained by western imperialism
a sin that cannot be justified in this time
Fear to speak

People: God, give us a voice to speak out
At the ways we as the international community
Are complicit…

Third Pray-er

When I lament
I will lament the walls and barriers that divide
neighbors, friends, and relatives;
the pain and suffering of families separated,
the everyday humiliation of check points,
walls and barriers that imprison,
walls and barriers that impoverish
communities
cut off from economic life
schools, hospitals, freedom and life,
walls and barriers that confiscate land
olive gardens, and villages.
For the building of every expanding settlements
I will lament the house demolitions
the forced removal of indigenous communities
seeking simply to live
the pain of a homeless mother,
girl child who can no longer go to school,
a male young adult turned suicide bomber,
a child who learns someone on the other side
seeks to kill them
crying out why God why

People: God give us the courage to lament---to allow our hearts
to break open in compassion.

Fourth Pray-er

When I hope
I will hope in the Patriarchs
Heads of local Christian Churches,
Rabbis for peace, Imans
Despite the obstacles, walls, and barriers
 I will struggle for the restoration of peace in the land.
I will hope in the IBDAA, Sabeel, Women in Black,
Alternative Tourism Group, Betselem, Jerusalem
Inter-church Centre, Jerusalem Center for Women,
Dar al-Kalima College, Aida, Deheisheh Refugee Camps,
Christian Peace Maker Teams, Ecumenical Accompaniers,
men, women, young adults and children,
the bright stars of Jerusalem
cultivating, communicating hope
resisting oppression, constructing peace.
God give me the courage to hope.

People: When we pray will pray for justice and peace,
for hope everlasting, that all may have life, abundant life.
God hear our prayers.

(This prayer was written by interfaith youth in the Holy Land in  2009. Responses and modifications have been made by Rev. Deborah Adams for UCC worship at United Church of Hartwick, Vermont for worship on August 1, 2013 welcoming Global Ministries missionary Rev. Loren McGrail).


Resources

Palestine Israel Ecumenical Forum: http:  //archived.oikoumene.org/en/programmes/public-witness-addressing-power-affirming-peace/churches-in-the-middle-east/pief/world-week/resources/wcc-policy-on-palestine-israel.html

"Jerusalem: Universally Oppressed by Exclusivity" a powerpoint presentation from the Jerusalem Inter-Church Centre, available as education and advocacy resource on the resources page of the WWPPI website" at  www.worldweekforpeace.org.

www. worldweekforpeace.org

Factsheet on Jerusalem, published by EAPPI at http://eappi.org/en/resouces/facsheets.html/ and Faith Under Occupation: The Plight of Palestinian christians Living Under Occupation," published in 2012 by EAPPI, the Jerusalem Inter-Church Centre, and WCC, available at http://eappi.org/en/resources/factsheets.html.

"A Moment of Truth" accessed at http://www.kairospalestine.ps/sites/default/Documents/English.pdf





.



Comments

Popular Posts