Whatever Way Love’s Camel Takes


The following sermon was preached at St. Andrew’s Scots Memorial Church on April 28, 2013. 
     “We are stretched between communion with You and our bodied lives…says the theologian and poet Walter Bruggemann. We are awed by heaven yet rooted in the earth. We live “between”, in the already and the not yet. To live stretched “between” we need to do but one thing says Jesus in the Gospel of John,  “Love one another. Just as I have loved you, you should love another.” This is the essence of the faith. Ours is a religion based on the logic of love. “Love one another.”
     In the Gospel of Mathew this commandment is an extension of the first: Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. The Second is like unto it. Thou shall love thy neighbor as thy self. On these two commandments hang all the law and prophets.
     “Love one another. Just as I have done.”  Easier said than done this loving the way Jesus does---befriending and eating with outcasts sinners, unclean, and unloved people. Easier said than done this stretching the boundaries of love, expanding our circles of love to include all.  The kind of love Jesus is talking about does not discriminate between worthy and unworthy people or between friends and enemies. This agape love is directed toward creating and preserving community, God’s Beloved community here on earth now.
     But how do we do this? Many would say we that the beginning point is seeing the face of God in every human being or believing and living as though we are all part of one family, members of one body in Christ. Others would say it means refusing to be enemies as the stone sign says up at the Tent of Nations.  For me it also means keeping my heart open even when all it wants to do is close into a fist and scream. It means drawing a distinction between the person and the act. It means using love to stop aggression or correct evil.  
This commandment to love one another is not only difficult but also messy and complicated and requires all our abilities, skills, and talent. It requires a willingness to go into the unknown on a wing and a prayer trusting that God will fill in when you have gone as far as you can go. It means trusting that the one thing you do is enough.
     Toward illustrating just how difficult this loving one another is I would like to share a story with you from my experience here as an ecumenical accompanier with the World Council of Churches in 2011.  I was on the Bethlehem Team, part of Group 39, during the Arab Spring. Part our work, as ecumenical accompaniers were to accompany Palestinians and Israelis in their nonviolent protests of the occupation. These protests were often held on Friday afternoons after prayers.
           
     One Friday in the village of Al’ Masara around 25 people gathered for the weekly walk to the field near where the separation barrier was expected to be built. As we began to move forward I noticed a soldier stepping out of formation with his gun drawn and hand on the trigger. He was moving towards one of the demonstrators in the back of the gathering. He was moving toward one of our contacts, Omar, who was standing off in the distance behind us near a car.
     For some unknown reason I decided to follow the soldier.  I did not have a plan but just knew I needed to be present and hoped my presence might keep something from happening between the soldier and Omar. I didn’t have a plan other than accompany the soldier on his mission. I was close enough to see that he carried an American made M16. We were close in more ways than one. My country was supporting his mission. I was complicit in whatever he was going to do.
I walked next to the soldier and began to sing quietly under my breath, “Peace, salaam, shalom, peace, salaam, shalom.”  My chanting became louder as I became simultaneously more scared and more confident. ---scared that I didn’t know what I would do if he actually started shooting and confidant that accompanying him was the right thing. As I chanted I also tried to hold this young soldier and Omar in the light as the Quakers say. I realized that I needed also to hold myself in that same light. I realized we were all part of that light; all connected because each had a spark of this light in us. This awareness is what I think made my chanting louder. Peace, salaam, shalom. Peace, salaam, shalom.
     In addition to holding everyone in the light, I prayed that this young Israeli soldier would remember that he is accountable to a higher law, God’s law, one that respects human life and rights. I also prayed that my heart not close down in fear or anger and that I continue to see him as a human being and not just a soldier. It was not easy this chanting, this holding in the light, this praying all at the same time as I also periodically worried that the gun he was carrying with his finger on the trigger could just as easily become directed at me. I tried to remember that my wonderful vest with its many pockets was not bullet proof.
     I stayed close to the soldier, stopping when he stopped, walking when he walked. The other protestors and soldiers were now engaged in the dance of tear gas and sound bombs behind us. At one point he stopped and looked me in the eyes. I tried to look back with all the kindness and compassion I could find. O my God, he was so young. I could be his mother. He could be my son. Peace, salaam, shalom, peace, salaam, shalom.
     While we were engaged in this intense eye contact, Omar got into a car and took off with his friend. Did my accompaniment intervention save him? Did all my chanting and praying work? Was it God who intervened? Was it my movement toward compassion?
     When the soldier turned around to move back toward his unit, I continued to walk with him. I walked beside him, thanking him and thanking God. I thanked God for saving us all- Omar for not getting shot or arrested, and the soldier for not doing something terrible he would regret or not. Then I blessed the soldier and asked God to be present to him in the days and nights to come while he was on duty. I asked God to guide him, forgive him and give him the courage to not obey. I asked God to do the same for me. After all, we were both fallible human beings.
     I did not love the soldier. I am not sure even that I would say I saw God in his boyish face but I no longer hated or feared him. I can’t say honestly that this would be so if he had fired on Omar or tried to arrest him. When we neared the protestors, many were running from the tear gas the soldiers were shooting. I dug out my baggy of lemons and onions and small bandana to cover my nose. My soldier put on his mask and rejoined his ranks. Our moment had ended and I was now once again an enemy—an international protestor and he was once again an enemy soldier with the power to hurt and kill others including me. Or were we? Peace, salaam, shalom. Peace, salaam, shalom.
     In the Book of Revelations, God affirms that the invitation for a new heaven and earth dwells with the human race, finds a home in us, “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals.” The home of God is among imperfect, sometimes hateful and fearful mortals who seem hell-bent on killing themselves and the planet too. Is loving one another really enough, strong enough to pull us back from the brink of destruction? 
     I don’t really know but it’s all we've got and when we can hold onto it, name it and claim it, it changes how we see the world and each other. It connects us to the divine and to the divine in each other. It softens the heart and allows us to live not only in the in between but in the grey areas of neither white or black, but yes and no. And occasionally it stretches us and leaves us open to be instruments of God’s peace.
    So let us leave today open to the logic of God’s love, the commandment to love one another. Let us leave open to the real possibility of  “on earth as it is in heaven.”  I end with this prayer by the 11th century Sufi mystic Ibn Arabi as it too invites us to follow the religion of love:

My heart has become capable of every form;
It is a pasture of gazelles
And a monastery for Christian monks,
And a temple for idols
And the pilgrim’s ka’ba
And the tablets of the Torah
And the book of the Koran.
I will follow the religion of love
Whatever way love’s camel takes
That is my religion, my faith.
        Ibn Arabi (1165-1240)

Comments

Popular Posts